It’s 2013 and in honor of the New Year our staff got together and picked our favorite 13 wines under $13. Here’s what made our list and why…
1. Flaco Tempranillo 2011– We love this as our go-to pizza wine. It hits the palate with lush texture and red berry flavors. The notes of strawberry, cherry, spice box, and dried herbs really complement the spice in our favorite pizza.
2. Georges Dubœuf Beaujolais Nouveau 2012 – This is THE party wine. It’s light, fruity and almost like winter’s version of a Sangria. Stock up and let the good times roll!
3. Chateau Julien Pinot Grigio 2010 – This is a real people-friendly wine, easy to drink and so smooth with fresh summer melon and floral aromas accented with a crisp citrus flavor.
4. Saint Cosme Little James’ Basket Press Rouge – A little star from our 2012 Winery of the Year, we count on this non-vintage blend year in and year out. It consistently offers great quality with a range of complexity and depth.
5. Château Peyros Tannat-Cab Franc 2006 – 60% Tannat, 40% Cabernet Franc – This is a big, hearty blend loaded with resveratrol and anti-oxidants… and even touted by some as “the fountain of youth”. We’re not about to let that one get by us. Sooo, this wine is now a part of our “New Year’s Resolution”. It is rich with fresh fruit, hints of plum, roasted coffee and cocoa with a finish that is fresh, ripe, and round. La belle vie!
6. Lyeth Estate Chardonnay L de Lyeth 2011 Even though it is 30-degrees outside, we still love a great Chard to “wine-down” in the evening. It has honeydew melon, guava with hints of Granny Smith apple flavors. It is fruit-forward with seductive highlights of soft spice making this an ideal wine to pair with white chocolate! (Hint, Hint, Valentine!)
7. Bogle Pinot Noir 2010 – Notes of wild strawberry, rustic mint, pine, fresh herbs, tea leaves and violets make this the Best American Value Pinot Noir. A great wine at an amazing price.
8. De Paolo Pinot Noir – Strikingly good and probably our best selling Pinot under $13. An Italian Pinot Nero that’s graceful and balanced between redcurrant fruit, bright acidity and velvety smooth tannins with just a touch of spice on the finish.
9. Drouhin Laforet Chardonnay 2010 Un-Oaked – Crisp, clean and great for Friday night fish eaters! Fresh pear, green apple, nice acidity, with hints of walnut and minerals.
10. All About Red – No Food Needed! This guy flies solo. Extremely smooth, enjoy cherry, wild berry, cassis and jammy thick tannins with a silky finish.
11. Gérard Bertrand Rosé 2010 – One of the lightest Rose’s in the world and drinks similar to a Sauvignon Blanc… so refreshing. A sit-by-the-fire quaff with fresh strawberry and raspberry flavors, crisp acidity and untold balance.
12. Terra Andina Carmenere – An excellent example of the values coming out of Chile and this little guy has great big flavor and all under $7!
13. San Giulio Malvasia di Castelnuovo – Our best-selling sweet red wine. If you like Moscato this is a MUST TRY! Pairs extremely well with chocolate truffles. (Hint, Hint, Valentine)