Are you new to Halloumi cheese? Here is a great recipe to introduce you to the delights of this wonderful cheese, grilled and seasoned in a traditional Cyprus-style sandwich.
4 large finger rolls or 4 pita bread
16 slices Halloumi cheese
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, peeled and sliced
2 large fresh tomatoes, sliced
1 fresh lemon
to taste fresh oregano leaves (Rigoni leaves)
to taste lettuce leaf, to serve
to taste black olives, to serve
1. Put 2 tablespoons of the olive oil into a frying pan and cook the onions over a medium heat until soft and slightly browned, set aside.
2. Put the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil into the frying pan and fry the halloumi slices over a medium to high heat on both sides, until golden brown and crispy around the edges.
3. Cut the bread roll in half, and place the Halloumi slices on one half and then squeeze the lemon juice over the cooked cheese slices. Sprinkle a few oregano leaves over the cheese before adding the sliced tomatoes and cooked onions.
4. Place the other half of the roll on top of the cheese and the filling. Gently press the two halves together.
5. Put the filled roll into a pre-heated griddle, panini press, George Foreman or sandwich grill for about 2 minutes or until the bread roll is crisp and golden brown.
6. Serve immediately with fresh lettuce leaves and a handful of black olives — and don’t forget an ice cold Efes beer!